Monday, March 03, 2014

Thorin Oakenshield and Company

 The mighty Dwarf, Thorin Oakenshield leads his band of hardy adventurers to the Lonely mountain. The Thorin figure is an old Citadel miniature from their Lord Of The Rings range way back in 1985 (I think). The other Dwarves were chosen from other old Citadel figures and some from the Alternative Armies range. I do like the Alternative Armies Dwarves and they fit very well beside the old Citadel ones.
 Balin with his red hood and long white beard was a must for the adventure party and this old figure just fitted the bill. I think these old mini's are from the Citadel, Fantasy Tribes range way back in 1984. They are my favourite Dwarves I think and have buckets of character in them. I prefer them to the modern huge proportioned figures of more recent times.

 
 Dwalin in green, I gave him a warhammer party because of the recent hobbit film and the troll sequence. The figure is from Alternative Armies, as is the horn blower. After doing lots of research I found that Thorin rushes down into the Battle Of The Five Armies with the sound of a trumpet blast, well after reading that I had to include one on the base.

 
 Painting is stopped as two Black riders stop by to sniff around for somewhere called the Shire...search me.

 
The base for the Dwarves is 60mm x 60mm. This is in keeping with HotT. I plan to base up all of these LOTR themed figures with a 60mm front so that I can use them for other rule sets as well as HotT. I still want to give HotT a go once the armies are ready, but I also love big units and battles and so might try to convert Hail Caesar or Clash of Empires to play a Fantasy game.

5 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Wonderful work squire - they look fantastic.

Though I must say the paintwork on the Black Riders is very convincing. What make are they?

AHunt said...

Those really are great models. Very different from the current aesthetic. I like them a lot.

Unknown said...

They look really great!

Scottswargaming said...

I must admit, the old citadel figrues still have a certain charm

Oh there's a Hail Caesar fantasy list on yahoo groups - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HailCaesarFantasy/

Secundus said...

Thanks Scott sounds very useful.