Thursday, April 05, 2012

Fantasy Island



Two years ago a good friend of mine gave me his box of old Citadel and Grenadier miniatures.

I dug it out last night and had a good look at what was inside. Most of the figures were produced in 1987.





This Goblin figure is a very early sculpt indeed, early Eighties I would say.







I have always loved Dwarves, because of their characterful faces and equipment. I would love to paint these guys up and find more (in my loft) to make a forty man warband. The only thing is I hate the slotta bases and would cut them off and mount the figure on a flat base with four other Dwarves. I would like to put the unit together as if it were a historical unit with four figures on 40mmx40mm bases.





However, the collector in me screams at the idea of cutting up such old and valued mini's.





GW Gimli (1985)







Grenadier 1989 troll.












I love this fighter from Grenadier (1987)







A heavily armoured Halfling fighter, a true heroe of his Shire.



Norse Dwarf (1987)




12 comments:

Engel said...

The trolls and the dwarves still look good.

Michael Awdry said...

These really are wonderful and will look great painted up. Looking forward to an update.

Bedford said...

They would indeed look great painted up.

Make sure you wash your hands after picking up those old miniatures, especially the ones that have darkened. Lead oxide ain't good for you as i'm sure you know :O)

Darrell.

Secundus said...

I know I can remember the stomach aches of old when I was a kid. Licking your brush to get a point was never a good idea.

If you look carefully at the pictures you can see the lead on the figures like dust. Those Orcs can be deadly...

Still it's all fine cast now at GW so the kids are safe, I wish the same could be said for their parents wallets.

Mad Padre said...

What's wrong with licking your paintbrush? Hmm, maybe that would explain the cramps and hallucinations. :)

Thanks for posting these pics, they bring back some great memories of my D&D years. Engel's right, they still look good.

Steve said...

I might be being a bit thick, but looking at your last Romans, aren't they mounted on slottabases? If so, just cut groves where the slots go.

I used to hate slottabases back in the day, just glued the tabs to a plasticard base and build up around with a bit of filler...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

There will be a fruitful bounty of painting to be had methinks ... Looking forward to the results

Your painting is quite inspirational :)

Broeders said...

Funnily enough, I've found a host of Citadel miniatures from 1984-85 and I'm debating whether to paint them or just e-Bay them in their unpainted state.

Secundus said...

@ Steve, err yes good point. I just aren't a fan of single based figures any more and like the idea of multiple figures on bases. It just seems a shame to take a knife to them.

Steve said...

Sorry, wasn't clear, cut slots in 40mm square one (or similar). A lot of min were based on 60 x 20 card with Tetrion around the tabs like these from my youth:
http://olde-skool-warhammer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/taking-stock.html

Mr Saturday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr Saturday said...

Wow, what a box of treasures, lovely trolls too. I attribute my now terrible memory to too much brush licking as a youth...