Sunday, September 07, 2008

Review Time

After spending a week at work being brain washed by an advert, curiosity finally got the better of me and I ordered a tin of Quick shade.

Quickshade is a new product which claims to be a way of painting armies in record time. Simply by painting just the flat colours on to the figures then dipping them into the Quickshade, armies can be painted in days rather than months. I had to give it a try.

I found the results a little disappointing, yes the stain shaded light areas very well but dried into a glossy varnish. Even after a couple of coats of Matt spray Varnish, they still had a glossy look. For me, being a painter foremost and finding that part of the gaming hobby the most enjoyable, the product didn't really catch on.
However, the dip was tested on the new Plastic Celts from Warlord Games and they really did impress me. I bought them just to see what all the fuss was about and was very surprised. £17 buys you thirty figures which is unbeatable in the present market. Making them up was also great fun and reminded me of my first box of Space Marines many years ago. With amazing detail and good poses I recommend these boxes to any one collecting a Celtic Army. Also Warlord Games have already hinted at more releases covering Dacians and I take it as read, that Germans would be not far behind.
I have given my plastic Celts small shields from my bit box, as with their running poses they will make great skirmishers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering about the feasibility of converting them into either Early Germans or later Irish. Perhaps, I should wait and see what they will have come up with.

Ave!

Secundus said...

If they are hinting at Dacians to go with their veteran Legionaries, I think it's a no brainer they'll be doing Anceint Germans soon. A lot of the plastic Celts have a bearded head option anyway and already look German. I might add a few greenstuff cloaks into the unit. I think with cloaks added they would make great later Irish.