Tuesday, May 01, 2007

More Dumnonii arrive on the scene




This is the second batch of blue faced Celts to arrive, better late than never I always say and I enjoyed painting this lot more than the first.

I love painting the checks and patterns on Celtic clothing and with my new fur/cloth cloaks, I had plenty of opportunity. I painted a couple of the cloaks as wolf pelts to add a little more variety and make a change to everyone just having bear skins.


I've had to put a hold on the Dumnonii war band for the time being, until I complete the Roman skirmishers. So at the moment they number about 36, where as I will aim for a least 45 to complete the unit. With the hard work of sculpting done, It just leaves me the joyful job of painting them, but there is still enough of them to make any Roman look twice and It'll be nice to see them on the field with their unique look.

In the cabinet, they really stand out against the other Celts I've painted and I suppose that's the way it would of been. With a race of people who were more worried about killing their neighbours than uniting against the common enemy of Rome, I think that tribal identity would have been of the up most importance to them. Being able to distinguish between friend and foe in the swirling maelstrom of battle would of had to been a must.


No comments: